The Readiness Assessment Consultation (RAC) is a thorough evaluation of a local jurisdiction’s overall will and capacity to effectively address racial and ethnic disparities. The BI evaluates a series of internal and external factors that impact a local jurisdiction’s “readiness” to positively impact racial and ethnic disparities in its system. Included among those factors are:
- Purpose of detention and detention utilization;
- Community engagement and collaboration;
- System stakeholders’ engagement and collaboration;
- Data collection and analysis capacity; and
- Current juvenile justice policies and practices.
Upon completion of the assessment, the BI provides the jurisdiction with a report on the RAC findings, which includes a corresponding set of recommendations. Once stakeholders have received the report, the BI facilitates an on-site debriefing to discuss the report and potential future engagement.